Written By Amy Thomas
Thinking of Selling Your Home This Spring? Here are Some Tips to Get it Ready
Are you thinking about selling your home this Spring or within the next year? Here are some things that you can do that will spruce up your home, attract more buyers and give you a good return on your investment.
Tip #1 – Look at doing a Minor Renovation
This is a much less expensive option for those looking to sell either now or in less than five years. According to Remodeling Magazine, a minor kitchen remodel yields the highest return on investment for home remodeling projects.
- Paint your cabinets especially if they look a bit beat up or if they are a dated wood stain. You can either have these sprayed professionally or painted directly. I recommend spray for a more factory finished look.
- Update the backsplash by adding a simpler more timeless backsplash like a simple subway tile.
- Change out the hardware – this can make a huge difference. Add an updated finish and style to change the overall look of the kitchen and to complement your newly painted cabinets.
- If budget allows change out a busy, dated granite to a simple quartz. Although this is moving towards a major renovation it can still be well worth the investment.
- Think neutral and paint those rooms that have dated colors with a neutral warm grey or greige which are big right now and attractive to most home buyers.
Tip #2 – Declutter and then declutter some more
Now is the time to get rid of all the things that have been sitting around in the corner for months and donate those items that you have not touched in years. For those things, you want to keep, put them in storage bins. This will make your home appear more spacious and will also be great for clearing your mind as you start to go through the home selling process. I recommend to my clients to pick up a copy of “The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up” by Marie Kondo to get started or you can also hire a professional.
Tip #3 – Fix up around the house
Repair those items that are broken around the house, make sure there are no leaks, and repaint scuffed up trim and re-caulk where needed. It will show that you take care of your home and keep it well maintained.
Tip #4 – Ensure your home is efficient
Is your HVAC system out of date and not functioning properly? Are there gaps around your doorways? Get all that taken care of so your home will operate more efficiently and will be healthier for you and your potential buyers. They will appreciate the energy efficiency efforts on their bills!
Tip #5 – Don’t Forget the Outside!
The front of your home is the buyers first impression. A well kept yard shows that you care about your home inside and out. Put a planter outside, mulch your beds and add some colorful annuals. Of course make sure your yard is all cleaned up! You can look at replacing your front door which also yields a high return on investment.
The Spring is a great time to put your house on the market since so much is in bloom and people are out there looking for their new home. Having a home that is well maintained, updated and efficient will attract more buyers and make your home more marketable!